Firstly, I need to apologise for my abysmal posting habits throughout February and March. I got caught up in life, and I know it’s not an excuse, but here’s hoping I’m back on the posting train with new content (:
Let’s preface this new section of the blog. I thoroughly enjoy cooking. It started by me standing next to mum and observing what she would do while she made breakfast/lunch/dinner for the family. And now, I’ve taken over the kitchen with my older sister and we’ve let out imaginations run wild as we try to recreate recipes and create our own ones using ingredients we find in the pantry and fridge.
Our aim is to make food that is nutritious but simple at the same time. Everything we eat when we’re at home is pretty simple, and we aim to make things that individuals who have busy lives (working, raising a family, just being busy in general) can make when they’re short on time but don’t want to resort to take out.
Over time, I will format this section to break it down into seasons and meal times, but let’s start out simple.
This is a go-to recipe with a twist. Sweet potato is such a versatile vegetable, and the best thing is, you can pre-roast it and leave it in an airtight container to use later! It’s dairy free and packed with complex carbs and fibre that will keep you fuller for longer, while also satisfied so you can beat the 3pm slump!
For the roasted sweet potato:
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons of roasted cumin seeds
For the salad:
- Kale, washed and roughly chopped up into sizeable pieces
- 1 cup of bulgur, cooked and cooled (cous cous and quinoa also work)
- handful of pecans and almonds, roughly chopped
- Cherry tomatoes to your liking (add as much or as little as you like)
- 1 red onion, finely diced and marinated in the juice of half a lemon and a pinch of salt.
For the dressing:
- 6 passionfruits, pulp removed
- juice of half a lime
- dash of olive oil
- 1 passionfruit, sliced for presentation
- handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) washed and finely diced
- finely diced red chilli
- toasted sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 200’C
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes, and cut into half inch cubes
- Toss sweet potato with salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil and cumin seeds until all pieces are covered
- Lay on a baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until soft and tender to the touch
- Leave the potatoes to cool completely
- In a small bowl, combine the pulp of 6 passion-fruits, olive oil and lime
- Combine the sweet potato chunks with the dressing and leave in the fridge to chill for half an hour
- In a large salad bowl/container, combine kale, halved cherry tomatoes, onions (without the lemon juice marinade) and cooked bulgur
- Pan roast almonds and pecans on a medium heat, and add to the salad mix
- Mix in the sweet potato chunks
- Garnish with coriander and chilli if you wish